Left over corned beef? The Reuben sandwich recipe below is one of the best I’ve ever tried. No left over corned beef? Those little packages of deli sliced corned beef work equally well …. and are available 24/7 in any grocery store! Here’s a great recipe for corned beef Reuben sandwich.
All you need is a frying pan and an appetite for a hearty, filling sandwich!
You will need the following per sandwich:
- 2 slices Rye bread (I think light rye works best … it doesn’t overwhelm the other flavors.
- 3-5 oz. corned beef (I prefer deli thin slices)
- 1/3 Cup sauerkraut (canned or bag)
- 2 slices of good Swiss cheese, sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp 1000 Island or Russian dressing
- small amount of softened butter/margarine
Preheat frying pan on medium. Drain sauerkraut well. Butter both slices of bread on one side only.
On unbuttered side, spread dressing, add small amount of corned beef, slice of Swiss and top with part of sauerkraut’ and repeat the process. Add dressing to 2nd slice of bread and and place in frying pan on low heat. Cook on each side until golden brown … remove, wait a few minutes and cut in half diagonally.
Place on sandwich plate with some raw veggies and enjoy!