My vegetarian daughter discovered *fake* meat many, many years ago and over the years has tormented us half to death with it. However, a few years ago, she finally came up with a recipe that is a real winner. We could not tell she used vegetarian sausage and in fact, you don’t have to. Any link sausage will do. These are delicious appetizers, enjoyed by all ages. One caveat … remember if serving during a sports game, the guys tend to eat them like popcorn.
Vegetarian (or not) Sausage Pinwheels Recipe
You will need:
- One ungreased cookie sheet
- Wooden toothpicks
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough
- 1 box of frozen sausage (your preference) Cindy uses Morningstar, I use Brown & Serve.
- 2 Tbs butter or margarine (softened)
- Italian seasonings … we use the premixed pouch that contains oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc
- I Cup Parmesan cheese … finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cook sausage for HALF the length recommended
- Flatten biscuit dough to about 1/8th inch thick
- Spread butter, sprinkle seasoning mix and add cheese
- Cut/slice into 4 equal strips
- Slice sausage into 4 equal bites
- Wrap each sausage bite in a strip of dough, pin with toothpick
- Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet, bake for 8-10 minutes
Serve hot/warm. However they taste pretty good at room temperature, too! Remember the *popcorn* effect … and make enough if you’re having a party!