Its New Year’s Eve. That means a lot of people will be experiencing the time honored tradition of the New Year’s Day hangover tomorrow. Not to worry. We have advice and help. Check out the hangover remedies below.
Its generally believed that the cause of a hangover is a combination of loss of vitamins and liquid because of excessive alcohol consumption. One thing we know for sure is that its a result of drinking too much, so the first thing you can do to prevent a hangover is to not drink too much. Aside from that, you can make sure you drink water during the night while you are out partying. That helps replenish the your system so that you don’t get dehydrated from the alcohol. But we know most people won’t do that.
If you do drink too much and let yourself get dehydrated, you will most likely be miserable with a hangover. Regardless of the folk cures you use, make sure that you sleep and drink plenty of water and juice as part of your cure. Its also best to avoid caffeine while you are recovering.
The problem with hangover cures, none of them work for everybody. You have to find out what works for you.
The following is a list of hangover remedies that many have found to help. Let us know if you have more suggestions that would be of help.
- Sleep. You need to give your body time to metabolize the excess alcohol so you will start feeling better. Not to mention you don’t have any business driving while you still have alcohol in your system.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Replenish your body with fruit juice and water.
- Avoid caffeine. Caffeine will continue to dehydrate you and that will only prolong your system. You are trying to rehydrate. If you absolutely must have coffee, make it weak and drink as little as possible.
- Drink orange juice for Vitamin C.
- Drink a sports drink like Gatorade or Powerade. Again, this is about rehydrating.
- Eat mineral rich food like pickles or canned fish.
- In Poland, drinking pickle juice is a common remedy.
- Drink a Bloody Mary. While the popular phrase “hair of the dog that bit you” may sound logical with a shot of whiskey left in the bottle next to your bed, it’s only temporary. Try a Bloody Mary instead, while your blood is dealing with the new alcohol it is ignoring the old and in the mean time tomato juice and celery are full of vitamins. If you drank the last of the vodka make a Virgin Mary. Another spicy morning after drink option is Hair of the Dog, in which gin and hot sauce are sure to bite your hangover back.
- Take a shower, switching between cold and hot water.
- In Ireland it was said that the cure for a hangover is to bury the ailing person up to the neck in moist river sand. I don’t know about this one, but maybe the moisture in the soil seeps in to the body helping to replenish the fluids. Just a guess.
- Get some exercise. Just make sure you drink lots of fluids while exercising so you don’t lose fluids which would make things worse.
- Its best to avoid pain killers such as aspirin, tylenol and ibuprofen. Their side affects are magnified by the alcohol in your system. Those side affects include blood thinner, liver damage and stomach bleeding. Be cautious using these medicines for quick relief as they could have a long term affect.
- If you have over indulged, you might want to drink a lot of water before going to bed to prevent or minimize the symptoms the next morning.