Red Rice ranks between 1-5 of my all time favorite foods … depending on how often I make it. One of my sisters managed to perfect the recipe (in my opinion) and it is below. If you’re looking for a great Southern taste sensation, give it a try!
You will need:
- Large cast iron skillet (or heavy skillet)
- 3-4 quart baking dish with lid
- blender (to puree tomatoes)
- Cooking spray (we use Pam)
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 2-3 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper (diced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups rice (uncooked)
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 level tsp sugar
- Tabasco sauce (drop or 2 per taste)
- Optional: cooked sausage, shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray or lightly grease baking dish.
Cook bacon in skillet until well done; remove and drain on paper towels. Leave bacon grease in skillet, Crumble bacon when cooled. Saute celery,pepper and onion in bacon grease until soft, then add tomatoes, rice, seasonings and crumbled bacon. Stir well and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
Pour contents into baking dish and cover tightly. Bake for an hour or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Remove from oven, serve with any main dish and enjoy! This dish goes exceptionally well with cornbread.