I’ve noticed that children tend to gravitate toward oddly named foods … like *pinwheels*, be they made with meat and cheese or plain old – good – for – you – veggies. Below is an eye pleasing as well as nutritious and tasty treat that kids, and grown ups can enjoy making and eating together.
You will need:
- Large bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Sharp knife
- Serving tray
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated carrot (optional)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red and yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed (tiny peas work best)
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, cooked, cooled and chopped
- 6 (6 inch) flour tortillas (whole wheat or white, your choice)
Blend cream cheese, dill, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Fold in vegetables. Spread about 1/4 cup of mixture across each 6″ tortilla. Leave about 1 inch bare at the top. Starting from the bottom, roll the tortillas up tightly … the filling will spread up to the bare edge. Prior to serving, slice each tortilla crosswise into as many pinwheels as you prefer.
Place on serving tray and watch them disappear!
This is great for children (and some adults) that tend to *hate* vegetables!