Mexican fruit cake is also known in some places as Mexican Wedding Cake. No matter what you call it, it’s delicious, easy and quick to make, and there is very little clean-up involved. Give it a try! It’s fantastic and also fun to make with the little ones!
You will need:
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- 9 x 13 Baking dish
- cooking spray (we use Pam)
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 – 15 oz can of fruit cocktail, with juice (or 1 can crushed pineapple in juice)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (may substitute walnuts)
For frosting you need:
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter/margarine, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl, stir first 6 ingredients by hand, spread evenly in 9 X 13 baking dish. Bake until toothpick stuck in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
While cake is baking make frosting by mixing the last 4 ingredients by hand (or mixer, on low if you prefer). Add powdered sugar in small increments.
Pour frosting on cake right after you remove from oven, then refrigerate until set. Remove from fridge, cut in squares and enjoy!