In today’s world where there is a mix for everything, do you ever miss cooking from scratch? If so, try this delicious and simple pineapple coconut upside down cake to recapture that wonderful homemade moment!
You will need:
- Small skillet
- 1 9″ round cake pan
- Large bowl
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp flaked coconut
- 1 can (8 oz) sliced pineapple, drained
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 Cup milk
Note: Almond, lemon or orange extract may be substituted for vanilla.
1. Heat corn syrup and 1 tablespoon butter until melted in small skillet over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar; cook over medium heat until mixture is bubbly. Pour mixture into ungreased 9-inch round cake pan; sprinkle coconut evenly over top. Arrange whole pineapple slices on top of coconut.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat remaining 5 tablespoons butter in large bowl until fluffy; beat in granulated sugar, egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into cake pan with prepared topping.
3. Bake about 40 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool in pan for 2 to 3 minutes; loosen side of cake with knife and invert onto serving plate.
Serve warm with Cool Whip for a real family pleaser!