No … they’re not made out of porcupines, but the kids giggle a lot when these are served. The porcupine look is from rice … but on a need to know basis, they don’t need to know that right now. Below is a recipe for Porcupine Meatballs.
These porcupine meatballs are quite tasty but not spicy, and they are simple to make.
You will need:
- shallow baking dish (2 quart)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2/3 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped or minced onion
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large can (15 ounces) tomato sauce (may substitute with tomato soup)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Mix ground beef with rice, 1/2 cup of water, chopped onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Shape ground beef mixture by tablespoon into 1 1/2-inch balls.
Place the meatballs in an un-greased 2-quart shallow baking dish. Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the meatballs. Cover and bake at 350° F oven for about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Remove, serve warm with a tossed salad, garlic bread and a glass of wine. Enjoy!